Life as I know it...

Monday, October 13, 2008

Why I support Universal Healthcare

My mother was behind an elderly woman was at the counter at the Rite Aid getting her prescription filled for a medicine for chronic bronchitis / COPD. The co-pay was $31. All she had was $20. She started to cry at the counter and left without her medicine. (My mother said she would have paid the difference if she had the money, but she didn’t). After she left, the staff behind the counter LAUGHED at her. All she wanted was medicine that would help her BREATHE and they laughed. She went out of the building and spoke to someone who told her Primatene Mist might help her. So she came back in, but the staff didn’t even bother to come out and help her find it. My mother had to help her find it.

So, I support Universal Healthcare so that little old ladies like this one can get the prescriptions they need to feel better, so that they don’t have to cry because they can’t afford their medicine, so that they don’t have to be ridiculed (whether or not it is to their face or not).

When my mother told me this story, I was so mad that I actually cried. I am still so mad about it that my hands are shaking as I write this. I told my mother that she had better call Rite Aid, at least the store if not the corporate office, and complain about those people for laughing at the poor woman and not helping her find the OTC medicine. The way I see it, it does no good to get upset about something if you aren’t going to do something about it. So, I will be voting for Obama and his Universal Healthcare, not just for myself, but for that lady who needs the help it will provide.

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/healthcare/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home